Free Travel Bag with first purchase, use code DOPP.
The 6 Best Hairstyles for Men with Receding Hairlines
Struggling to conceal male pattern baldness? Check out these six stylish hairstyles for receding hairlines and get your confidence back.
The dreaded receding hairline manages to strike fear in guys everywhere. To be fair, we can’t help but lament losing our hair when it’s often associated with our masculinity and attractiveness.
Though it may seem like the end of the world, a receding hairline isn’t a big deal. In fact, a receding hairline can often give a man a rugged appeal (look no further than Jason Statham, Bruce Willis or Michael Jordan). There are plenty of hairstyles that work well for hairlines that are creeping back.
Here are three things you need to know about receding hairlines in men:
- Receding hairlines, also known as male pattern baldness, are usually genetic.
- While there are ways to fix a receding hairline, they are often expensive.
- The best hairstyles for men with receding hairlines are ones that are short on the sides and longer on the top.
What Causes a Receding Hairline?
A receding hairline is usually the beginning of male pattern baldness, a common hair loss condition that affects an estimated three million people. Male pattern baldness (also known as male androgenetic alopecia) is often a genetic condition, though it can be spurred by environmental and lifestyle factors as well.
Male pattern baldness is inevitable for most guys. According to a 2010 study published in Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, the condition affects up to 80 percent of men by the time they’re 80 (see claim: “Androgenetic alopecia affects up to 80% of males by the age of 80.”)
Is There a Treatment for Male Pattern Baldness?
While it may be notoriously difficult to stop hair loss in men, the good news is that scientists have made significant strides in the treatment of male pattern baldness. In a 2017 study published in the journal eLife, researchers discovered that cells in hair follicles can communicate with each other, which may activate hair growth in certain areas (see claim: “…hair follicles across the body use a common signaling system. This system consists of a pair of signals: ‘activators’ that stimulate hair growth, and ‘inhibitors’ that prevent it.”)
With this discovery, researchers are hopeful that, in the future, they can stimulate hair growth and reduce receding hairlines. In the meantime, you can try out a few hairstyles to disguise your balding dome.Take the skin care quiz
Best Hairstyles for Men with Receding Hairlines
If your hairline is slowly receding, it may be time for a new ’do. With these stylish hairstyles, you can change the perception that your balding and shift the focus to your cool new look:
1. Slicked-Back Hair—Plenty of guys with receding hairlines are rocking the slicked-back look. The secret is to get a fade on the sides to make the hair on the top of your head appear much thicker than it truly is.
2. Short Pomp—If you don’t want to slick your hair straight back, apply some pomade in your hair and sweep it upwards for a sexy, hipster look. This style works well for receding hairlines and is currently one of the most popular hairstyles for men. Just be careful to avoid the dreaded pomade acne that often plagues guys with oily skin.
3. Buzz Cut—A buzz cut is for guys who aren’t quite ready to go completely bald. It’s a clean look that is particularly popular in the military, but you don’t need to wear a uniform to rock this one. Opt for tapered sides to give your buzz cut a modern vibe.
4. Completely Bald—More guys are rocking the shiny dome these days, and for good reason. It’s an easy, no-fuss look that quickly takes care of the receding hairline. Plus, it looks amazing with a thick, bushy beard. Just be sure to read up on how to care for your bald head once you buzz the hair off.
5. Textured Spikes—Textured hairstyles are always a good bet for receding hairlines because they make hair appear thicker. Give the top of your head some messy spikes and add a taper fade to the sides for a modern, stylish haircut.
6. Crew Cut—Spotted on the heads of Ryan Reynolds and Justin Timberlake, the crew cut is a classic men’s hairstyle that originated from Ivy League crew teams. It has short sides and a longer top for a timeless look that also happens to disguise a receding hairline.
Hair loss will affect most guys at some point in their lives. If you’re still struggling with your receding hairline, consider speaking to a hair loss expert about other options to fix the problem. Or, you can simply focus on things within your power, like your skin. With a regular skin care system, everyone will be too impressed with your glowing skin to even notice your hair loss.