Is Caffeine Good or Bad for Your Skin?
Tiege Hanley breaks down the details on Caffeine, which has wide-ranging effects in skin care. Caffeine is a naturally occurring compound that can help increase circulation and prevent damage from UV radiation. The same way that a cup of coffee will wake you up in the morning, Caffeine helps your skin look more awake.
What is Caffeine?
Found in both coffee and tea, caffeine is a naturally occurring compound that has wide-ranging effects in skin care. The same way that a cup of coffee will wake you up in the morning, caffeine helps your skin look more awake.
Benefits of Caffeine
- One of the major benefits of Caffeine is that it is an antioxidant that helps prevent UV radiation damage. Because of this, Caffeine is regarded as a powerful anti-aging ingredient.
- Caffeine also increases circulation. If you have puffiness, especially under the eyes, the increased circulation helps carry excess water away, leaving skin looking tighter and firmer.
- Used topically, caffeine constricts blood vessels. For people with broken blood vessels or spider veins, products with Caffeine can help reduce redness.
- Use products with Caffeine both morning and evening to reduce puffiness, redness and discoloration—especially in the undereye area, which is most prone to these concerns.
- Caffeine isn’t only for the under eyes! Use it prior to sun exposure to prevent UV damage.
Other Ingredients to Consider
For better protection against sun damage, botanical extracts like aloe, apricot extracts and citrus extracts can offer some antioxidant activity, but the antioxidants in Caffeine are more potent.
Products Containing This Ingredient
- Tiege Hanley AM/PM Eye Cream
- Clinique All About Eyes Serum De-Puffing Eye Massage
- Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Supercharged Complex
- Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Concentrate Matrix
- Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Serum
- Estee Lauder Revitalizing Supreme+
- Avon Anew Clinical Eye Lift Pro Dual Eye System
- L’Oreal Eye Defense