What is Plantain Extract?
Before you start thinking about the fruit that is part of the banana family, it’s important to note that Plantain Extract comes from a different species of this family. The Plantain Extract used in skin care most often comes from the leaves of Plantago major, which is a low-growing perennial weed found throughout most of North America.
Benefits of Plantain Extract
- One of the big benefits of Plantain Extract is that it contains Allantoin, which is a powerful skin soothing agent that encourages cell growth. In face washes, Allantoin is also used as a chemical exfoliant to remove layers of dead skin.
- This extract has wound healing properties, which makes it great as an acne treatment. It helps to combat acne and it promotes skin regeneration, which reduces the chance of scarring.
- Plantain Extract has germicidal and antibacterial properties, which makes it that much more useful in the prevention of acne.
- Since this extract soothes skin, it’s a good treatment for sunburn.
- For acne sufferers, we recommend use of products containing Plantain Extract both morning and night.
- If acne isn’t a concern, use this extract in the morning to take advantage of its benefits throughout the day.
Products Containing This Ingredient