Is Salicylic Acid Good or Bad for Your Skin?
Among all acne fighting ingredients, Salicylic Acid is one of the most effective. An excellent chemical exfoliant, Salicylic Acid not only reduces the size of existing pimples and blackheads, it also helps prevent new ones from forming. Tiege Hanley explains these and other skin care benefits of Salicylic Acid.
What is Salicylic Acid?
Among all acne fighting ingredients, Salicylic Acid is one of the most common and the most effective. This is a plant-based acid, harvested from botanical sources such as the white willow tree
Benefits of Salicylic Acid
- Salicylic Acid is an excellent chemical exfoliant that penetrates skin. Not only does it help soften skin, but it works to slough away layers of dead skin cells on top of the skin, leaving you with a smoother, brighter complexion.
- This ingredient visibly reduces the size of pimples and blackheads.
- Salicylic Acid is a powerful acne-fighting ingredient. It works by reducing the number of skin cells within pores, which helps prevent pimples from forming.
- Be sure to use Salicylic Acid with a good moisturizer since this ingredient can cause dryness.
- To prevent dryness when you begin using Salicylic Acid, add it to your routine gradually over the course of a few weeks.
Other Ingredients to Consider
- Glycolic acid has most of the same benefits as Salicylic Acid, but it also comes with more irritating side effects.
- Benzoyl peroxide has similar acne-fighting properties, but it is less effective than Salicylic Acid and more irritating.
Products Containing This Ingredient
- Tiege Hanley Acne Cream
- Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion
- Clinique Acne Solutions All-Over Clearing Treatment
- Avon Clearskin Blemish Clearing Overnight Treatment