We are currently experiencing very high order volume. New orders may take 3-5 business days to ship. Thanks for your patience.
Is Apricot Grit Good or Bad for Your Skin?
Tiege Hanley breaks down the details on Apricot Grit—a natural, biodegradable exfoliant. Apricot Grit comes from the Apricot kernel and is used in mechanical exfoliation (using rough textures to remove dead skin), so it works faster than chemical exfoliants.
What is Apricot Grit?
There are two different types of exfoliation: chemical exfoliation, which uses alpha or beta hydroxy acids such as salicylic acid, and mechanical exfoliation, which relies on scrubs or rough textures to remove dead skin. Apricot Grit comes from the Apricot kernel and it’s used in mechanical exfoliants to help you scrub away dead skin.TRY MEN’S SKIN CARE
Benefits of Apricot Grit
- Apricot Grit is biodegradable, unlike microbeads and other types of synthetic exfoliants.
- Exfoliation with an Apricot Grit scrub removes layers of dead skin, which eliminates dullness and makes it easier for moisturizers and serums to absorb into the skin.
- Chemical exfoliants require time to absorb into the upper layers of your skin and slough away dead skin cells. Apricot Grit offers instant results—just scrub and rinse to reveal brighter skin.
- Mechanical exfoliation can be overdone to prevent irritation, be sure to scrub gently and use mechanical exfoliants only as often as needed.
- Be aware that certain ingredients, such as retinoids and benzoyl peroxide, can make skin more sensitive. If these ingredients are present in your skincare routine, you can still use mechanical exfoliants, but take extra precautions to avoid irritation and dryness.
Other Ingredients to Consider
Rice particles, jojoba beads, sugar, sea salt, sand, walnut shells, cornmeal and oatmeal all provide mechanical exfoliation, but these ingredients are less coarse than apricot grit, which means they may not remove as much dead skin
Products Containing This Ingredient
- Tiege Hanley Exfoliating Scrub
- L’Oreal Go 360 Clean Deep Exfoliating Scrub
- Kiehl's Pineapple Papaya Facial Scrub