What is Menthyl Lactate?
Menthyl Lactate is the synthesis of menthol and lactic acid and it has a variety of uses, most prominently as a soothing, cooling agent for skin. This minty-smelling compound has been used as an insect repellent and the food industry prizes this ingredient for its strong flavor.
Benefits of Menthyl Lactate
- Menthyl Lactate is an instant refresher. On skin, it leaves behind a refreshing, cooling sensation.
- This ingredient has a pleasant, soothing minty scent. Add it to your morning routine for an instant wake up.
- Like menthol, Menthyl Lactate offers mild relief against itching and irritation.
- Menthyl Lactate is best used in the morning for a refreshing pick-me-up.
- Look for this ingredient in after-sun products to help cool a sunburn.
- This is a must-have ingredient in scrubs and other mechanical exfoliants because it soothes the skin as you scrub.
Other Ingredients to Consider
- Menthol provides the same cooling effect as Menthyl Lactate, but it must be used with care on skin because menthol can be very irritating.
- Camphor is another ingredient that provides a cooling sensation, but it can also irritate skin.
Products Containing This Ingredient
- Tiege Hanley Exfoliating Scrub
- Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Cleanser
- Clean & Clear Blackhead Eraser