Skin is a living, breathing thing just like we are. Occasionally, it becomes aggravated and has a bit of a meltdown, causing redness and irritation which compound already problematic skin. How do you handle it? The same way you’d handle your own bad mood—with a little bit of TLC. Choosing the right skin care products and implementing a good routine will help you quickly obliterate the redness.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Redness from acne occurs for a variety of reasons, primarily because the skin becomes irritated or inflamed.
- The best way to reduce acne redness is to use soothing skin care products with calming and anti-inflammatory ingredients.
- Understanding how to prevent skin redness is a great way to help the skin stay cool under pressure.
The Root of the Redness
The underlying cause is inflammation. As your pores become inflamed, your skin tissue becomes damaged. Blood rushes to the area to repair the tissue, causing swelling and redness. The inflammation is caused by dead skin cells that accumulate within a pore and clog it. While clogged, the pore fills with excess oil until it becomes inflamed and forms a pimple, a cyst or a blackhead.
Nip it In the Bud
One of the best ways to maintain clear skin is to approach the situation holistically. You should try to include some anti-inflammatory foods in your diet to help combat the situation from the inside out. Foods such as tomatoes, olive oil, leafy green vegetables, nuts, fatty fish and certain fruits help combat inflammation.
Additionally, you want to avoid inflammatory foods, as they will likely aggravate your acne. Not surprisingly, many inflammatory foods are unhealthy overall so, if your focus is to have clear skin and get in shape, then cut these out:
- Refined carbohydrates
- Fried foods
- Red meat
- Margarine and lard
Kick Redness to the Curb
Keep in mind that inflamed pores are the result of excess oil and dead skin cells. The best way to deal with redness from acne is to prevent it from occurring in the first place. Be sure to wash your face often with a face wash formulated for men to ensure that no gunk gets trapped in your pores. Look for skin care products that contain soothing, anti-inflammatory ingredients such as:
- Calendula Extract - Acts as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compound
- KuKui Nut Oil - Works to moisturize and protect your skin
- Plantain Extract - Contains natural germicidal and antibacterial properties that promote wound healing
- Alfalfa Extract - Helps prevent dry skin
- Green Tea Extract - Studies have suggested that skin care products containing Green Tea Extract can help hydrate your skin and work effectively as an antioxidant.
- Hydrolyzed Elastin - A natural protein which conditions and hydrates skin
Choose the Right Products for You
While the majority of us can benefit from some of the more popular skin care ingredients found in men’s skin care products, we are all individuals. So what works for your friends may not work for you, and might even irritate your skin. A great way to test a product out is to perform the patch test. Use the product on a small patch of your skin and give it a half day or so to test your skin’s reaction. If your skin is free and clear after a few hours, you’re good!
Wrapping it Up: Make Your Skin a Priority
Redness from acne can really affect a person’s look and confidence. We should always be proud of the face we wear every day! Fortunately, there are many ways that you can deal with the issue. Healthy skin is the result of a healthy lifestyle, and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Aside from eating a healthy diet, make time for your skin. Make sure to read labels on skin care products and go for the soothing and healing ingredients only. That redness on your skin is a sign that it needs a bit of attention!