10% off your first subscription order with code Handsome10
Top 4 Razors for Sensitive Skin
When you shave sensitive skin, shaving can be a painful experience. Discover the top razor blades for men with sensitive skin.
Finding the right razor for your skin is key to avoiding the unpleasant side-effects of shaving. If you have a sensitive skin type, then it’s especially important that you choose a razor that gets the job done without causing a nasty reaction.
If you experience a burning sensation or get a red rash each time you shave, sensitive skin could be to blame. It could also be that you’re not prepping your skin properly beforehand.
No matter what’s causing your skin irritation, a gentle razor can improve your shave experience for the better. Before we discuss the top razors for sensitive skin, we’ll briefly go over what sensitive skin actually is.
Here are three things to consider before buying a razor for sensitive skin:
- A lot of guys think that they have sensitive skin when the actual problem is their shave technique.
- If you struggle with irritation from shaving, switching to a mild, double-edge safety razor may help improve your symptoms.
- If all else fails, consider seeing a dermatologist about your sensitive skin.
What is Sensitive Skin?
Sensitive skin is difficult to diagnose. A lot of people—guys included—report having sensitive skin, when in reality, they’re simply having the same reaction as other people to skin care ingredients or environmental factors.
Sensitive skin is typically characterized by a tight, burning sensation that may be accompanied by itchiness and inflammation. If you experience these symptoms, you may just have contact dermatitis, a condition which makes skin red and angry after coming in contact with an allergen or known skin irritant.
Keep in mind that the act of shaving is also incredibly tough on the skin. According to a 2016 study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, shaving irritation is one of the most common cosmetic complaints among European and American men (see claim: “Shaving‐related irritation is one of the most frequently mentioned male cosmetic complaints in Europe and the United States.”)
Try following these helpful shaving tips from the American Academy of Dermatology. If you’re still getting a negative reaction after prepping your skin properly, shaving with the grain and finishing up with a men’s daily moisturizer, then you do indeed likely have sensitive skin.
All-Around Best Razors for Sensitive Skin
If you suspect that your current razor is causing skin irritation, it may be time to switch it for a razor that’s gentler on your skin. Specifically, keep away from multi-blade razors, which are particularly rough on skin and are notorious for causing shave irritation.
Below, we’ve rounded up a list of the top razors for sensitive skin, none of which are multi-blade razors:
- Rockwell Razor 6C Double-Edge Safety Razor—With the Rockwell Razor 6C, style and performance are infused into a single shave tool. This sleek razor in gunmetal finish features adjustable base plates, allowing you to get a milder or closer shave depending on which base plate you use.
- Feather AS-D2 Stainless Steel Double-Edge Razor—If you want to treat your face to a high-end razor with incredible craftsmanship, the Feather AS-D2 is calling your name. This precision-designed razor offers greater control and performance than multi-blade razors, resulting in a smoother, nick-free shave that’s gentle on the skin. The only downside is that it’s rather expensive.
- Feather Popular Double-Edge Razor—If the Feather AS-D2 is out of your price range, check out the Feather Popular. This cheaper version may not have the luxe feel of its high-end sibling, but it’s far easier on the wallet and designed for sensitive skin.
- MERKUR Classic 3-Piece Double-Edge Safety Razor—The MERKUR Classic is a German-made blade constructed from Solingen steel. This stylish, chrome razor features a knurled handle for easier gripping and maneuverability, while its three-piece design makes it a breeze to clean. Promising a “lifetime of close, irritation-free shaves,” the MERKUR comes in four distinct styles. For heavy stubble and beards, consider the MERKUR 15C, which is ideally for maintaining multi-day beard growth.
Shave irritation more often comes down to good face prep and technique rather than sensitive skin. That being said, you may want to consider seeing a dermatologist if you still experience shave irritation with one of these milder blades. Or, you could always grow out your beard to limit your razor use.